As per updates from the Government of Alberta on May 25, 2020:
Corporate income tax extension of filing deadline
Further to the tax relief measures announced previously, the filing deadlines for Alberta Corporate Income Tax Returns (AT1) have been extended to:
- June 1, 2020 for AT1 returns due after March 18, 2020 and before June 1, 2020
- September 1, 2020 for AT1 returns due in June, July or August 2020
The filing deadline for a Notice of Objection (AT97) has been extended to June 30, 2020 if it would otherwise have been due after March 18 and before June 30, 2020.
Corporate income tax deferral
Alberta businesses with corporate income tax balances that become owing on or after March 18, 2020 or installment payments coming due between March 18, 2020 and August 31, 2020, can defer making these payments until August 31, 2020.
Electronic signatures allowed for form submissions
Given the current exceptional circumstances surrounding the outbreak of COVID-19, Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) encourages taxpayers to use electronic means (for example: Netfile, TRACS, secure email, electronic payment, etc.) to submit payments, registrations, applications, returns, claims, objections, waivers and appeals.
In order to reduce the necessity for taxpayers and tax preparers to meet in person, TRA will recognize electronic signatures. This administrative measure applies to all prescribed forms administered by TRA, including the Alberta Consent Form (AT4930) (PDF, 270 KB). To add a digital signature, the form must first be downloaded or opened as a PDF.
Other tax updates and filing changes
The Government of Alberta has updated many of the tax and levy programs, including Alberta Indian Tax Exemption, Fuel tax and IFTA, Health cost recovery, Insurance premiums tax, Tobacco tax, Tourism levy, and the Carbon levy. These updates can be reviewed here.
For more information
- Special Notice Vol. 5 No. 57 – Extension to Alberta Corporate Income Tax Return (AT1) Filing Deadline (alberta.ca, May 25, 2020).
- Special Notice Vol. 5 No. 56 – Deferral of Corporate Income Tax Payments (alberta.ca, April 30, 2020).
- Tax and Revenue Administration Online Services (alberta.ca)